Beauty Tips is where we share any advices, how to’s, tips, inspirational tidbits and anecdotes on skincare, make-up, or anything else to show the pretty in you. If you have anything you want us to cover, please leave us a comment in any of our posts or drop as an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer is here, and that means one thing — time to go to the beach! With that, I’ll be sharing some tips on how to do makeup perfect for a day out in the sun. When going to the beach, a natural face is the most suitable way to go, but for some of us, we just want to look fresh on camera, so we opt for a little makeup. I’m not telling you to wear makeup to the beach, but for those who want to, how do you achieve a natural, fresh, sunkissed look, without looking too fully made up for the beach?
Here are your summer beach makeup essentials:
- Sunscreen – This is an extreme must! Putting on sunscreen before applying makeup is the most important step. You don’t want to get sunburnt during the day. Product recommendations: Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Sunscreen
- Primer/Foundation – It’s important to put on a good primer and foundation to keep your makeup stick. And since it’s summer and the beach, you’re sure to sweat and get wet a LOT, so don’t forget to choose a water proof product. Product Recommendations: Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer, MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation
- Concealer – You can conceal dark spots to even out your skin under the sun. Product Recommendations: NYX’s waterproof concealer stick
- Powder – For powder, it’s necessary to keep your concealer and foundation on the whole day. Although it’s not really necessary to use powder in the beach, it’s great to have this on during the day, to keep yourself fresh when your face starts to sweat. Product Recommendations: NYX’s Mineral “Set It & Don’t Fret It”
- Blush – Want that rosy cheek sunburnt in the right way look? Then go for colors that are reddish to peachy — those will make it look like a natural blush caused by the sun. Product Recommendations: Benefit Benetint; Daniel Sandler Watercolour Crème Rouge Blusher in Soft Peach
- Highlighter – Focus on illuminating areas of your face that the sun will hit. This will assure you of glowing in the sun. Product Recommendations: Elizabeth Arden Sunkissed Pearls Bronzer and Highlighter; M·A·C Bronze Everyday Lustre Drops
- Bronzer – Using a bronzer on your face while under the heat of the sun can make it go a bit cakey, so I’d recommend using a foundation that’s a few shades darker than your usual skintone instead of using a powder bronzer. Product Recommendations: MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation
- Setting Spray – I’ve become obsessed with this recently, and find that it helps to keep makeup stay on your face for a long time. This is especially needed when you’re bound to sweat and be exposed to the heat all day. Product Recommendations: Urban Decay’s All-Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray
- Brows – For the brows, I’d recommend brow pencil and a brow gel. Lightly fill in your brows with a brow pencil first, then use a gel to keep it together. Don’t forget to waterproof everything! Product Recommendations: TARTE Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Pencil; MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Brow
- Shadows – I personally wouldn’t use eyeshadow, but if you’re into this, then avoid bright and loud colors, and settle for neutral tones that mesh well with your skintone. Product Recommendations: L’Oreal Infallible® 24 HR Eye Shadow
- Eyeliner – When putting eyeliner, it’s best to follow your lash lines and avoid overdoing it. Keep it light and neutral, and try to smudge it a bit for a more organic look. Product Recommendations: Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
- Mascara – Of course, this should be waterproof. Product Recommendations: Urban Decay Cannonball Ultra Waterproof Mascara
- Lip Balm – It’s really important to keep your lips hydrated and moisturized from the summer heat. Product Recommendations: Product Recommendations: Kiehl’s Lip Balm SPF 15
- Lipstick – Choose a sheer or glossy finish for your lips and nude colors. Product Recommendations: Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick
On me: Maybelline Fit Me Concealer, Benefit Gimme Brow, Urban Decay Naked (blush & highlighter), Laneige Two Tone Lip Bar in #4 Milk Blurring
I just love the beach! Don’t you?
I just recently went to the beach and I did put on a little makeup! I prefer to keep my look very natural and clean, like a no-makeup naturally sunkissed skin look. FYI: I did NOT go swimming that day but I did walk around the beach and played with the sand and water but only for a short while, because it started raining. 😦
When I went to dinner that night and met with some friends, a friend asked me if I had gone to the beach because I had a sunkissed glow and red cheeks! I said yes, even though technically it was all just the makeup that did the work since I barely stayed out in the sun while in the beach. 😉
Feel free to share your summer makeup looks down in the comments! For any questions, shoot!